Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Route 66 Part II


When I was 13 years old I sat in my parent’s garage trying to figure out how to make nunchucks. Go ahead and laugh (I had serious Napoleon Dynamite nunchuck making skills in case you’re wondering). But that was a huge learning experience. Suddenly the answer was just there and I realized my mind could solve problems given the right amount of time and application of effort.

The same thing still applies to my work as an artist and photographer. I see an image and know what it will look like in a “finished” form and the challenge is to make the picture on the canvas look like what is in my head. Some photogs say if you can’t do it in the field then it doesn’t count (the anti-photoshop establishment). First of all I’m not rich enough for the equipment and chemicals that make that happen. But more importantly I believe in using all the tools at my disposal. A great classical photographer, Al Abrams, once told me, “It’s a poor artist who blames his equipment.” That has always stuck with me.













Work with what you have and create beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment